Sharing video & other files via OneDrive
If you want to ready all my new article at once, feel free to scan the following QR code to follow my wechat account.
Onedrive is an excellent alternative for uploading video & documents. Links can easily be generated to share on other platforms. Since the files reside in Singapore, they can be accessed in China under normal circumstances. Once you get the link, it will be very easy to put into any third part application like seesaw. Currently, user complain it’s slow to download of upload file from it, but if you use the link from Onedrive, then you will get a better internet connection with it. Here’s the basic How To.
- Login to Office 365, and click on the OneDrive icon from the waffle. You can also see OneDrive in the large icons once you have logged in.
2. Select the file or folder and click the Share icon like the screenshot below.
3. Click on the “People in AISG with the link can edit” so that you can modify the sharing setting for your file or folder.
4. Modify the sharing setting before you click apply.
1) Click Anyone with the link so that you can share
your file or folder anonymously. Anyone with the link can access the resource without logging in. This is the setting you need to let people easily watch a video or open a PDF.
2) Tick Allow Editing off.
3) Click Apply
In the next window, click on the Copy Link icon. This will copy the link to the clipboard. A confirmation window will pop up. Now go to your Seesaw page or other service and paste the link.
Additional link options
There are additional settings that can be applied to a shared link, but for easy sharing with parents or students, proceed carefully. If you apply a password, you’ll need to remember it and forward it to all users.
You can also put a time limit on how long the link remains active or even a password which is required to open the link
All of the link options are useful, but for quickly sharing non-sensitive info (such as this How to you are reading) none of these are really necessary.
Summary of additional settings
- #1 Anyone with the link. Share the document as anonymously and you also can decide the link can work for who.
- #2 Allow Editing. Likely you would never turn this for an Anyone with the Link. Strangers could edit or delete content at will.
- #3 Set expiration date will pop up a calendar to select the date on which the link will cease to work.
- #4 Set a password (not your Office 365 password). For example, you could set up a password on a video/document which is copyrighted, but being used for instructional purposes.